My red delta

Well it's been a productive winter's building in my garage. The BBS02 motor that was on the red delta was removed and placed on a 2 wheeled recumbent. Just waiting for all the snow and ice to go before learning to ride that one. My re delta has a few thousand km's on it so a change was in order. Since it's mid drive was repurposed it got a 500 watt geared hub motor. The trike is quite low which means it handles very well but it got a steel front fork from another project that originally used a 24" front wheel. That now has a 20" hub motor in it so the front end has been raised by 2" giving just a bit more ground clearance. the rear derailleur has been replace by a short throw version increasing it's ground clearance marginally as well. Caution was always needed over obstacles to prevent the center mounted derailleur from hitting.

The trike got a new drive chain and a new seat. The original was a mesh seat hand stitched to it's frame and after several years it sagged enough that there was contact with the trike frame in the posterior area. 3 new marathon tires are installed, they are slightly thinner at 1.35". It is getting dual batteries, one on the underside of the frame up at the front and one in the to be soon to be renovated rear storage area. Also a new under seat set of handlebars was designed. This uses a standard mtn bike bar and a pair of bar ends that were modified by cutting off the curved portion and then extending them high enough for all the controls. I'm just starting on the wiring so pictures to follow in a few days.

Click for DIY Plans!
Back